What makes you think I know the answer to your question? Does my face scream “walking encyclopedia of all the knowledge”? Because I’ve seen myself in the mirror and I’m giving off more of a “confused about what even APR is and why they can’t just say interest” vibe. I find it interesting that this is a massive problem in my life currently. Usually I’m dressed like the retired high school jock who isn’t able to quite move on from the glory days and yet somehow that tells people that I want to answer their questions…nay, I KNOW the answers to their questions.
Despite my best efforts to convince strangers that I’m not the source of all truth in the universe, I get questions like:
- Which chemical elements have to combine to form magnesium phosphate? Mag and Pho obviously, it’s the newest dining craze
- How many seconds are in 4.5 months? A lot
- What is the secondary material in dry fit clothing? Fabric
- How many miles long is South Beach? More than one
- When was the DMV founded? At some point in the past
- Are Oreos safe for a dog to eat? Probably not, but I’m not an expert here
- Is it possible to eat a large pizza by yourself? Wait, I do know the answer to this one! Absolutely
- How would I create a replica electrical circuit that turns on a light? Why would you want to do that?
- If my car engine is screaming at me, what does that mean? Well, not anything good
- Can you give me the exact number of people who attended the 1984 Super Bowl? Let me think…no
- Did we leave the oven on? Unfortunately, no one knows the answer to this. We have a 50/50 chance
- Who ate all the chocolate? I also know the answer to this … but if I tell you I’d have to kill you. Death by chocolate
- How would one repair a shoe sole? Buy a new shoe
If only there was some technology that could help you out…just one, I’m not asking for a lot, but one thing that is so intelligent it’s slightly scary. Hold on, let me Google it and see what they have to say about it. Oh! My! Goodness! It’s Google itself those narcissistic little nerds! Not a Google fan you say? Their color scheme is a bit too primary for your tastes? Never fear, you can work with Watson, or Alexa, or Siri. Better yet, don’t just stick with one – call up several of these genius robots and see what their answers are.
In all my free time, I like to play a little game I call AI: Jealous or Nah? Here’s how it works: you put several machines right next to each other and take turns asking them different questions. OK Google, tell me when I’ll make enough money to retire? Alexa, will I wake up tomorrow craving oatmeal or eggs? Hey Siri, tell me a joke. Then ask the same three questions, but change the recipient. By the end of it you get a pretty decent joke and some fascinating queries into your future. My theory? They’re listening to you abandon them for the others so they feel an intense need to one-up the competition.
With so many options, I genuinely don’t get how the Internet is not everyone’s first place to try and find an answer. Not humans. Besides, you get an answer so much quicker that way. If you ask me, my baby peanut-sized brain will have to go Google it…or Alexa it, or Siri it, or Watson it. Go straight to the source, that way you can keep searching until you find an answer. Don’t get mad at me, I’m reading the top result for your sorry self – no way am I scrolling to page two of the results. I have better things to do, like Google ways to keep yourself entertained on a ship. Or how to propel down from a third story window (in case of a fire, duh).
Alright, jumping off my pedestal for now. If you know someone who loves to ask questions, do everyone a favor and introduce them to Google. Give someone an answer and they’ll keep coming back, but teach someone to search and they will never speak to you again. Thanks for reading!
Follow TRP on Twitter for shorter, daily insights on life as a millennial.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox for maximum procrastination.
3 thoughts on “THAT QUESTION SEEMS VERY GOOGLE-ABLE”
Pingback: DID SOMEONE SAY THREE DAY WEEKEND? – The Restless Professional
Pingback: DATING APPS ARE OUT OF CONTROL – The Restless Professional
Pingback: LOTS OF SKILLS AND NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM – The Restless Professional